Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 30, 2009

My Favorite Things- Packing the Hospital Bag

I keep saying I'm going to do some more 'favorite things' posts, so I am finally getting around to it! There are so many lists of what you should & shouldn't bring and everybody will give you there opinion. These are the things that I tool that I actually ended up using and really want. Next time around, this is all I will bring!

1. Music- It was so nice to be able to have some nice music playing in the room while we were hanging out. I made some playlists of music that was posititve and happy and relaxing- music that I wanted to welcome my son to the world with.

2. Camera- don't forget chargers and/or batteries! Kaden came so fast after we got to the hospital that we didn't have the camera right when he was born- Rob had to run down to the car (which was still parked at the emergency room!) to get it after Kaden was born. The awesome nurses there waited for the footprints & stuff till he got back.

3. Computer and/or cell phone- we didn't have any family nearby, so the computer was very important so we could get emails & pics out to people. Plus it was a nice distraction to get on the internet while I was recovering. And obviously we called people with the phone. Technically you aren't supposed to use the cell, but the nurses let us make a few calls since we didn't have any family right when he was born. Later on we called people with the computer using Skype (which also let us do webcam so my Dad & family could see the littly guy).

4. Toothbrush, toothpaste, & mouthwash- do I really need to explain that? I did not feel like myself afterwards physically (obviously) and it just makes you feel better to have a fresh mouth.

5. Travel shampoo/conditioner, facewash, soap, & lotions- this doesn't really need an explanation either. See #4- you just feel better when they finally let you take a shower!

6. Makeup- I'm not talking like getting made up for the prom or anything, but just a little bit to make you feel a little pretty. I swelled up at the birth and taking a shower/brushing my teeth/putting on a little powder & eyeshadow made me feel a little bit put back together.

7. Brush & hair bands- I did not care about my hair those first few weeks, so therefore I needed to be able to pull it back in a pony tail so I could avoid feeling like I should do anything to it.

8. Chapstick- dry lips & dry hospital air. Duh.

9. Pillow- I tool two comfy pillows from home with old pillow cases on them (not white- don't want your pillows to get mixed up with the hospital pillows- but the hospital pillows can barely be described as pillows, so that would be hard to mix up). I hugged one of my pillows all the way to the hospital and until they got me situated in the room. Then I used my pillows while I was there. It was nice to have something comfy & familiar.

10. Socks and/or slippers- cold feet on tile floors need socks and/or slippers.

11. Robe- I only used the robe when they had to transfer me to a postpartum room (too many babies being delivered & they needed the equipment in my other room). I was sure glad I had it, though. Helped me not feel so naked in that gown without the hospital blanket to wrap up in.

12. Business card for pediatrician- if you did not include that info in your pre-registration info, bring this with you. We were not able to think all that proactively outside of the contractions, but the nurses are really good at taking care of things for you. Just give them your name & hand them the card- they will take care of the rest. (if you can't tell, I have HUGE respect for labor & delivery nurses- they have a really hard job and I am so forever grateful for the nurses that helped me bring Kaden into the world).

13. Pen & notebook- if you have time to write anything down, do it. The memories are so priceless and the little details will fade quickly thanks to hormones and the needs of a newborn. Take advantage of down time to record anything you want to remember. And to write notes to yourself so you don't forget when you are supposed to do things like go to the doctor, etc. You won't remember, so write it down.

14. Granny panties & the biggest pads you can find- in the hospital, use the stuff they provide. It gets gross (I won't go into details) and it's not worth messing up anything you brought and storebought pads won't work at first. But on the day you get to go home, you feel a little more human when you get to put on panties and use pads (still seriously get the biggest ones you can get- seriously) instead of the sexy meshy things & ice pack pads they provide.

15. Couple of outfits for baby to wear home (remember that you need to be able to fasten the car seats, so no gowns for the ride home)- I say a couple because if you want pictures, you might want a choice. Plus babies spit up & poop on things.

16. Hat for baby in the hospital- the cute knit hats they had at the hospital were a bit tight for Kaden's head, but luckily I had a few knit that were bigger. Plus it felt special that it was something I made for him. If you don't knit, it can still be special if you brought it especially for your baby.

17. Outfit to wear home- I took my favorite maternity jeans (with secret fit belly, nothing tight or banded) and a maternity tee shirt. You will still have a belly. Probably for quite a while. Don't bring non-maternity clothes to wear home.

18. Bra- the most valuable bra I ever bought was the sleep bra from Mimi Maternity ($20 bucks or less). This bra is stretchy to accomodate changing size, comfortable, supportive without underwires (underwires are bad at this time), comfortable, and most importantly, IT IS COMFORTABLE. It is not comfortable without one. I used these bras constantly that first week. Best. Bra. Ever.


DON'T Bring diapers, wipes, pacifiers, bottles, or any care items for the baby. They have all this for you at the hospital. You don't need clothes or mits or blankets for baby, either. They have comfy cute stuff that is easy to get on & off.

DO make sure to take anything the hospital gives you. Especially the thermometer, nose cleaning bulb, pacifiers, breast pads, prescription pain killers, nurser size bottles, anything. Our super nice nurse even gave us an extra pacifier (Kaden would only use those for the longest time). And they will give you ointment & cream for your nipples- don't buy any if you plan to try breastfeeding.

Coming soon...

"My Favorite Things- What You Need to Survive the First Weeks After Birth"

"My Favorite Things- Best Baby Items for the First 6 Months"

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
I'm going to copy your list and make my own!! It's awesome Jen, thanks!!!!